About The Winery
Pirramimma was founded by Alexander Campbell Johnston in 1892 and has been owned and operated by the Johnston family
The Johnston family arrived in South Australia in 1839 and in 1892 Alexander, the tenth of thirteen children, purchased 97 hectares of rich farmland adjacent to the fledgling village of McLaren Vale. He named his land PIRRAMIMMA, an aboriginal phrase meaning “the moon and the stars”.
Alexander selected McLaren Vale due to the regions cooling sea breezes from the Gulf of St Vincent, the Mediterranean climate, rich diverse soil structures and quality drainage. ACJ’s original land handing was a mixed farm, with small planting of Grenache and Zante currants, a dairy, piggery, cattle, sheep, shearing shed and cropping land for hay and grain to feed the Pirramimma Clydesdales that tirelessly worked with us.
In 1914 ACJ expanded PIRRAMIMMA by acquiring the neighbouring Katunga winery and vineyards, the new acquisition helped fulfil the supply contract with W and A Gilbey in London, which for the next 50 years Gilbeys took Pirramimma wine globally under the Gilbey label. Thus furnishing the reputation that McLaren Vale wines live long and travel far.